[pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #470

>>>Matt writes:
I've heard that the best way to carry a full pack on a plane is to
stuff it, empty, along with all your other junk loose, into a very large
duffel bag.  Has anyone tried this?  Or done it any other way that might
work better?  ....

I have heard that the Airlines won't let you take your fuel bottle
(with or without fuel in it), and sometimes not even your stove, on the
plane, checked or carry-on.

Hi Matt,
When taking my pack on the airlines, I've had the pack fully packed, nearly
as usual, except with items that may break, bend or dent, in the middle of
the pack, surrounded by clothing as padding. Over the pack, I then slip the
pack into an old heavy canvas duffel bag...<<<

I once knew a fellow who worked as a baggage loader for the airlines.  He
quit because his peers were frequently sifting through baggage, keeping
whatever appealed to them at the time.  "It was like a shopping spree," he
once commented.  I know the problem has been addressed by 60-minute-like TV
shows and the airlines but I wonder how common a practice it is.

It's not likely that even the most desperate thief would have an interest
in my wool socks but who could turn down a North Face jacket or multi-$$$
tent, if they couldn't turn down much else?  Has anyone "lost" any baggage?