[pct-l] re: cold weather camping

Glen writes:

How do you sleep comfortably in cold weather, and I am basically
referring to temperatures in the 15-25 degree range.

I don't know if this is much help, but having a bag that rated at or below
those temps. Often I'll wear a pile equivalent of a wool cap (to keep the
itchies down) a pile jacket and gloves, so that I can have my arms extended
outside the confines of a mummy bag. If you can tolerate the cramped
quarters you could avoid wearing this extra clothing. Most backpack trips
are taken with my wife, so we zip our bags together, share the heat, and are
able to stretch out more. If your sleeping pad is of the 3/4 length variety
put extra clothing, or your internal frame pack under the bag at your feet.
A tent always helps, as well as a warm meal before retiring. Getting some
sugar in your system just before retiring, I'm told, can help keep you a bit
warmer. If your on snow, double-up on the pads. A ThermoRest coupled with a
standard closed-cell (Ensolite) pad, or two closed-cell pads.

-Ken