Re: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #346 John Drollette

John, you wrote:
>What is it about the Sierra snow that discourages folks from traversing
long >stretches of it during a thru-hike?
>For example, I would like
>to have snowshoes waiting in my parcel at Kennedy Meadows if I need them,
>rather than scrambling around with a Campmor catalog at the last miniute.
>
>Any thoughts?

I experienced a serious snow storm while in the Sierra's in 1977.  The
winter had been extremely light, the last year of a several year drought.
At Weldon NF rangers said that there was no snow up to 9,000 feet, patchy
snow up to 12,000 feet and solid snow and ice above.  I had arranged with
my mailing party (my parents) to send me snow shoes and full crampons at
Weldon if I needed them and contacted them by the time I reached Mojave, in
order to send them in time.  I didn't think I did and went on up with ice
axe and in-step crampons.  This was at the beginning of May, so Ray J's
schedule would have missed the storm I hit.  South of Tunnel Ranger Station
it snowed about four and half feet in three days, then snowed part of the
day, every day for the next eight days.  By the time I got to my next food
drop at Independence I was exhausted, discouraged and very nearly quit.  It
was also too late for the extra equipment to be sent to do any good.

The moral of the story is:  You can plan but you can't always win.
Persevere if the plan goes bad, prepare to the best of your ability and be
flexible!

Best regards,

Greg "Strider" Hummel

P.S. It also helps in deep snow to be 6'9" tall!