[pct-l] re: homemade gear

Ktjensen wrote:
What is the best way to waterproof a Nylon Tent or Rain Gear if they need
it??  I know I have to worry about breathability and condensation, but I
still need protection against leaks in the downpours.  Which chemical
waterproofs are available, and what is the least expensive that really
works.

Although REI sells Polycoat for waterproofing materials, I believe you would
be a lot better off purchasing waterproof nylon to begin your tent or rain
gear project with. I'm not sure where you live, but The North Face in
Berkeley sells coated nylon, as does (did?) United Fabric Outlet (UFO) in
the San Diego/National City area. There are ads for fabric in Backpacker
magazine as well. With some planning you can make a great tent yourself. I
hiked a number of years with a backpacking and mountaineering Explorer Post
in San Diego, of who's adults all made their own tents and packs. The tents
then were all light single-wall,designs having great ventilation. Absolutely
wonderful designs. Their packs and tents never went commercial, although one
member started Adventure 16 backpacking equipment and designed the A-16 hip
hugger backpack. (Brick, you may have met Andy Drollinger, his son Ralph, is
on the Gregory product team). These people were artists! With replacement
pole sets, webbing, grommets and zippers available at dedicated outdoor
stores, once finding the fabric and a pattern, the rest should be a breeze.
Be sure to use a strong polyester thread and waterproof the stitching with
liquids such as REI's Seamlock. If designing a tent yourself, read-up on the
concept of cantenary cuts to assist in keeping tent walls taut.

-Ken Marlow