[pct-l] Waterproofing a Tent or Rain Gear

What is the best way to waterproof a Nylon Tent or Rain Gear if they need
it??  I know I have to worry about breathability and condensation, but I
still need protection against leaks in the downpours.  Which chemical
waterproofs are available, and what is the least expensive that really
works.

I am trying to make some cheap "One weekend a month" type gear for
friends and new users.  I would of course recommend Gore-Tex, and a good
Rainfly equipped tent later.

Please send responses directly to me    ktjensen@juno.com
as well as to the Mail List.

Thanks in advance.