Re: [pct-l] Section A Conditions

Hello Everyone.

And now the report from slightly further north in Section A:

This weekend (April 26/27) I backpacked ~10 miles south from Barrel Springs.
The trough was full and the pipe was flowing pretty good. There were
still plenty of wild flowers blooming, including a few cacti. I didn't
see any snakes, just lizards and some deer tracks.

I met 5 through hikers at the Spring around 10am Saturday.
Sorry I forgot their names for those tracking friends/relatives.
I was too excited and nervous, thanks to meeting my first real
through hikers on the trail, to concentrate clearly.
One of them (at least) was a member of this list.

I also passed a solo through hiker near the top later in the
afternoon.

There were 4 other day hikers that I met going south and 2 hiking
north of Barrel Springs towards Warner Springs on Sunday.

Sunday, back at the spring, I met another solo through hiker. He
had just completed the AT in February. He raced past my campsite
the evening before around 7pm and I noticed he'd slept on the
trail (very few flat spots otherwise).

The ascent was very hot and completely treeless. I'd like to think
it was only in the high 80's on Saturday. I foolishly hiked during
much of the midday heat. The wind picked up pretty good later in the
evening (until morning). Returning on Sunday was much easier as I
started before the sun had a chance.

I had a hard time coming into work today as I wanted to throw together
supplies and start hiking north now instead of waiting until August.

Best of luck everyone and maybe I'll see you in Oregon in August.
bob
----
Bob Mitchell
rmitchel@qualcomm.com                         T-230F  x82971