[pct-l] Section A Trail Report

 Brick-

Thanks for the appreciation of trail work by PCTA volunteers on PCT-L.  I'll
pass it on to them.  Also thanks for your trail report.

Our trail crew was not able to make it all the way from Chihuahua Valley Rd to
Tule Spring.  We want to get back soon and get the brush approaching the latter
that  you mention.  However, the first 5 miles of this segment is in great
shape.  We cut up a lot of downed timber at the scenic campsite along the trail
beneath Combs Peak.  No open fires though (nor anywhere in Cleveland NF).

Two Americorps crews just finished working the trail  from Lucky 5 Ranch Road to
descent into Chariot Canyon and from Rodriguez Canyon Road to Scissors Crossing.
They did a good job on about 20 miles of the trail.

Yesterday and today, with Americorps, we brushed south from Pioneer mail for a
couple of miles. They will also be working there tomorrow.   Ben York and I
found the water tank at Pioneer Mail almost empty.  No leaks visable but someone
may have left the valve open since you found it almost full  a few days earlier.
Water has to be hauled in so users please check to see that the valve is turned
off.

Regarding closure of PCT by BLM from Chariot Canyon Road to Rodriguez Canyon
Road for prescribed burn sometime during the period May 1 to May 15.    BLM has
been requested to restrict the closure to the time of the actual burn  plus a
cooling off period (several days),  not the entire two weeks. During the burn
northbound hikers  will be routed north to Banner along the Chariot Canyon Road,
then by way of Hwy 78 to Scissors Crossing.  Hikers are advised not to return to
the PCT via Rodriguez Canyon Road which will be closed to all but fire trucks
during the burn.  Southbound hikers should depart PCT at Scissors Crossing and
follow the detour in reverse.  PCTA will be monitoring this situation and will
post notices for northbounders at Campo, Mt. Laguna Post Office, and Pioneer
Mail, and also Warner Springs (for southbounders).  Will try to advise when
closure goes into effect and as soon as it is lifted.  Use extreme care in
hiking Hwy 78 as vehicles go very fast on this section of desert 2 lane highway.

Pete Fish - PCTA So. Cal. Trail Coordinator