[pct-l] Section A Conditions

Class of '97,

For those of you who have NOT left Campo yet, I hiked all except the first
1.3 miles from Campo to Lake Morena County Park Saturday with a friend who
has just realized her interest in the PCT. Here are the current conditions
and facilities available.

Overnight temp at Lake Morena (Friday) was ~ 40 degrees. Daytime temps on the
PCT on Saturday reached 90 degrees (to coincide with our 890-foot elevation
gain from Hauser Canyon to "a saddle on Morena Butte").

Campo Creek had water on Saturday but is unreliable as a consistent water
source.
There was water in the "creeklet" described on page 49, col. 2, 1st
paragraph.
Hauser Creek is already dry !  So, as the book says,
"Your next certain water is at Lake Morena Country Park," some 18-20 miles
away (from Campo).

We met only 2 hikers on this portion of the trail on Saturday. they were Bill
C (Carlisle, I believe) and Carol Davis. This was their first day of
backpacking the PCT in California (they have completed Oregon and Washington
already), but they were adjusting and doing well. We also met one snake, but
it was non-poisonous and slowly moved off the trail as we watched and waited.

For those of you who might consider camping in Lake Morena County Park along
the way, they have two backpacker sites (# 64 & #65) with water, picnic
tables and fire-rings for walk-in campers. The fee is $2 per person and the
sites will hold "several campers." The campground has flush toilets and free
showers. Nearby Lake Morena Village has a malt shop / fishing gear store (Oak
Shores) ~ 0.5 miles from the campground and a decent bar / restaurant (The
Village Inn) on Oak Drive ~ 1.0 mile from the campground.

BTW, their are signs (litter) all along the PCT from Highway 94 to Lake
Morena that illegals still use this trail as they make their way north. The
litter consisted of plastic grocery bags (yellow), water & juice bottles /
boxes, empty tuna and vienna sausage cans, bread wrappers, etc. It was often
found in an area where the amount of litter indicated that several people had
had lunch at that spot and apparently, "just stood up and walked away,"
leaving empty cans sitting on rocks and other litter on the ground. Park
Rangers at Lake Morena recommend that hikers NOT hike this area (Campo to
Lake Morena) solo.

Be safe and Enjoy,
Charlie Jones