Re: [pct-l] Guns in National Parks and Wilderness areas.

dd1990,

Carrying a firearm in any national park or national monument, so far as I
know, is strictly illegal, not allowed. I do not know about national
wildlife areas or refuges, but common sense would indicate to me that it
is also illegal there. Carrying a firearm in a national forest is legal;
therefore, since wilderness areas fall within one national forest or
another, or sometimes are the responsibilities of multiple national forest
districts, carrying a firearm in wilderness areas is also legal.

However, it is always best to call the NF office that administers the area
you will be in to check their local regulations. There may be areas within
a wilderness or national forest that are specially administered for
different purposes. It is also wise to carry a copy of your permit and
ownership papers for your firearm.

I am not advocating that anyone carry a firearm. Personal decision, folks,
one that should not be made lightly.
Craig W. Smith      FAX: (417) 873-7432
Associate Librarian      Phone:    (417) 873-7339
F. W. Olin Library       E-mail:   csmith@lib.drury.edu
Drury College
Springfield, MO 65802

"O Solitude! If I must with thee dwell, let it not be among the jumbled
heaps of murky buildings--Climb with me the steep, Nature's
Observatory..."