[pct-l] re:guns on the PCT

To one and all,
Just so no one gets the wrong idea, despite my rather lengthy message of
yesterday:

I do not advocate carrying a firearm on the pct. I do advocate being
alert, being wary, and being careful and prepared for whatever happens.
This holds true for people you meet on the trail just as it does for the
approach of severe weather. Carrying a gun is strictly a personal
decision, not one to be made lightly, and carries a heavy load of
responsibility.

I do carry a handgun here in my part of Missouri, but I have personal
experience with violence on the trail. Even though I shared that with the
list, it was to make an observation and try to offer helpful advice. It
was and remains a personal decision to carry a handgun.

Thank you for your courtesy and respect, but we have probably spent enough
time on this controversial subject. I would rather continue being the
armchair traveller as I anticipate reading everyone's exciting journeys
along their personal trips of discovery on the PCT this season, and
gaining vicarious experience for my own trip on the PCT some day. Best
wishes to the 1997 group; I wish I could be out there with you!

Craig W. Smith      FAX: (417) 873-7432
Associate Librarian      Phone:    (417) 873-7339
F. W. Olin Library       E-mail:   csmith@lib.drury.edu
Drury College
Springfield, MO 65802

"O Solitude! If I must with thee dwell, let it not be among the jumbled
heaps of murky buildings--Climb with me the steep, Nature's
Observatory..."