Re: [pct-l] questions for the thru,...

Jeremy,
  First off, to everyone, I'm new to this list, so... hello one and all.
I thru-hiked most of the AT last year, and so can perhaps offer a little
advice on your filter vs. iodine question.  I started off my hike using the
PUR Hiker and generally found it to be an indespensable, and highly
reliable, piece of gear.  Only problem encountered occurred early on, and
involved a loss of drawing pressure on the intake end of things.  Remedied
the situation by unscrewing the filter and putting a bit of water down into
the housing, then screw
ing the filter back on.  Never occurred again.  I
went through 2 filter cartridges between Georgia and Delaware Water Gap, or
about 3.5 months constant usage.  The Hiker never really seems to get clogged,
rather changing the cartridge was more a matter of desiring an easier pumping
process.  It can become a bit laborious as sediment builds up in the thing.
  Moving ahead to Connecticut, I switched to Polar Pure, and continued using
it through New Hampshire, about a month's time.  It is U1
 lighter weight than a
filter, and more compact, but has several disadvantages, as you mention.
Takes awhile before you can drink your water, you've got to wait at least an
hour before using the product again, and you can only treat, on average, two
quarts p[#Zper full bottle.  A bit of a nemesis, I would think, on those dry
sections of the PCT, where you want mucho water in a hurry when it comes
around.  Plus, no iodine-based product has been proven effective at
de-activating cryptosporidia, whereas almost any filter can easily handle
it.  Sure, the Hiker won't take care of viruses, but this isn't a real concern out there;
certainly not on the AT.  In all in, I think the Hiker wouF${ld be my first
choice for another long distance hike, and would only use the PP again for
a minimalist-type overnight or something.  Too much hassle.  I'll most likely
be bringing my PUR along next year, when the PCT
 hopefully will come my way.

- Blister>Free (GA-ME '96)
  (please excuse any problems in readability - system problems)