Re: [pct-l] Re: Personal safety on the trail

I'd have to second the "no guns - period" concept.  Sort of the equivalent
of bringing along a pet on the AT, really.  What do you do with it in the
National parks?  You've always got to keep an eye on it, and hope it doesn't
get you into trouble.  It means extra weight.  You could forget it at
last night's camp and then forget where that happened to be.  Others might
find your companion objectionable, as might yourself as it proves its lack of
trail worthiness after awhile.  It's tr
icky to send home if you change your
mind.  So leave it home, with the accompanying worries and fears.  The odds
are better they won't materializ
 than be played upon, and by a long shot.
  Most of us have survived our war-torn urban landscapes sans weaponry for
the whole of our existances.  The trail should be even easier.
- Blister>Free (AT '96)