[pct-l] film use...

On my couple of 30+ day section hikes I found I "shot film" five or six
times a day from vantage points that included where I'd been or where I was
going.  From a 15 day trip on the JMT I took three rolls of 36 exposures and
ran out of film at Whitney Trailcrest.

I shifted from wanting to capture beauty, which includes such microviews as
the Rogue River leaping from the ground and my camping spots to wanting to
capture beauty and "The Trip", the context of the trail.  I learned early
that "small shots" never really came out the way i saw them, while the "big
shots" did.  One of my favorite shots was from the top of Silver Pass
looking north.  The picture of the trail undulating along the side of the
canyon captured a whole day of hiking.

My slide shows of each of my section trips now take 20 minutes and we look
at 60-70 slides or so.  Needless to say once they are shown to friends and
family they gather dust.  I've thought of taking pictures of topo maps and
interspersing them with the "big shots" so that I can show everyone my trips
again...

Jeffrey Olson
Seattle, Washington