[pct-l] Re: Personal safety on the trail

>Polite Cat brings up an issue that I have been curious about and which
>has been absent from this list. What about carrying a gun? I don't want
>to fan any flames here, and I'm sorry if this offends some of you.

Boy, this will open up a can of worms!  :^)  I'm a fan of firearms
personally; but my concern is, as always, the tradeoff of weight.
Your .45 weighs in at 2 lbs 6oz - quite a piece to carry.  I don't
think a .45 is needed, unless your concern is about large bears.
If you decide to pack, you might consider a snub-nosed .38 revolver
with +P hollowpoints - that would probably be the best all-around
combination.  They might be available with alum frames, but +P ammo
is usually not recommended with lighter frames.

Of course, carrying a handgun concealed is illegal in most non-wilderness
areas.  And my recommendation is, if you pack, don't show your gun to
anybody.  Personal choices - tough choices.

Rick