[pct-l] Small memory cards

On Mar 25, 2006, at 2:11 AM, Vic Hanson wrote:

> Why buy small cards when large ones are so cheap now. I get mine at
> buy.com. They have a great deal on SD cards right now.

On a $/megabyte scale, large memory cards just keep getting better
and better.

With respect to using a digital camera on a long distance hike, I
would point
out that having one large memory card vs. several smaller cards (or
even several large cards)
is a nice example of the 'all your eggs in one basket' problem.  If
you have a 1Gb memory card in
your camera you can take pictures for weeks at a time before the card
fills up.
If something happens to that card, you'll loose an awful lot of
pictures.

I'd suggest swapping out cards based on the number of pictures you
want to
'risk' and not based on the amount of space still left on the card.

These numbers will vary by person and camera.  A 1 Gb memory card
represents
a lot more pictures with a 3-megapixel camera than with a 7-megapixel
camera.

Gary Wright (Radar)