[pct-l] Solitude and Loneliness

Donna,

Having done almost all my long distance explorations "alone," I can hardly
resist this thread!

Life is made richer through relationship with others.  Sometimes a  little
time alone is needed to search the soul or spirit, you know, get away  from the
distractions and temptations of society in order to "clear the mind"  and sort
things out.  But these times are usually brief.  For the most  part, we get
lonely without other people around.

However, extended time alone in the mountains does bring you closer to your
spiritual side and you begin to question what life is all about and what
really  matters.  When you're young and there is so much that's new to see and do,
this connectedness and ensuing questions rarely comes up.  But, about the
age when most people want to do a long distance hike, after they've tasted some
of life as an adult, there seems to be a rising desire within themselves to
seek  answers to these questions society doesn't give, thus the desire for
solitude to  take the time to listen inward.  Sure, you get lonely when you're on
your  own, but if you stay a bit longer, quiet yourself a bit more, you might
find  you're not alone after all.

Mtnned

Ps.:  There are those on this List who have travelled alone for months  at at
time. Do you get lonely and what has it taught  you?