[pct-l] The Trail Con

_chancepctcdt@yahoo.com_ (mailto:chancepctcdt@yahoo.com)   writes:

What we  really need is an application of Ent's idea (PCT 2003) of Yogi
Bingo. This  would be the activity of getting non thru hikers to give us stuff
without  directly asking for it. Yogied items might include: energy bars / candy
bars /  common hiker foods / water / rides at trail heads / information of
various  kinds / etc.
Actually, that is a better idea.  Remember the movie the Sting with  Paul
Newman and Robert Redford?  That was cool how they had all these  different kinds
of cons.  That is right up Trail Pirate and Camp Ruffian  alley.  We would
only use the term "con" among ourselves.  We would  say to the Greenhorns and
non hikers that it is just an opportunity for others  to provide some charitable
Trail Angel support.  An opportunity for others  to feel good about
themselves for helping others in need.   Coooool...........taking advantaged of good
natured people, who do not know they  have been had.  "Yes, I Yogied a bunch of
folks in the last trail  town.  I cleaned them out.  You might as well skip
ahead to the next  resupply."

I see a whole new aspect of the  trail con opening up for me.  I can look
pretty forlorn and down trodden  when I want to.  Of course, most of the time
when I am out on the trail or  in town it is not an act.

Then again, all the above is a  con for you from me.   :-)

Your hiking buddy,  Switchback
 Trail Husker & Camp  3-Card Monte Expert