[pct-l] Southbounders?

What makes for a good southbound year?  Why is the southbound direction
considered more difficult?  Thanks.
___________________________________

2005 was a good southbound year.  I left Manning on June 10, and there
were probably 30 people within five or six days on either side of that
date that headed SOBO,  along with the 15 or 20 folks who flipped from
Kennedy Meadows/somewhere to Manning.  Perhaps the high point of the
"Wave" this year was the Timberline breakfast at which there were 15 or
so thru-hikers.

I wandered into that scene looking for the shop that held food
packages.  There was almost a Brughelesque quality to the revelry.
Everyone knew this was unique - all those thru-hikers downing 5000 to
8000 calories in one sitting -together.  A couple of the men waxed
loquacious and loud.  Most were dealing with the calories and the
intensity of all sitting at one table in the midst of a restaurant
knowing someting special was happening.  Even the tourons knew something
was special.  Warner Springs Monte acted the host, and did it well (what
I saw in the three minutes I hung out).  His graciousness and warmth
were infective...

There was relatively little snow north of Rainy Pass.  This is what made
it a good SOBO year.  I carried snowshoes, used them once (I really
didn't need them) and left them by the side of the trail an hour after
passing through Harts Pass.

There was a post last spring, just before everyone left, that
recommended using a trekking pole shortened as a self-belay device.  I
carried an ice axe for the same purpose, and the pole would have
worked.  I was more in danger crossing the mud before the Packwood
Glacier than any snow I crossed (except for where I slipped and fell and
was using the ice axe - handle buried to head almost - that stopped my
fall).  I actually slipped for 10' before being able to stop on the mud,
scraping one leg unmercifully...  There was also a post from someone who
hiked from Manning to Rainey Pass in the wind and clouds and snow and
cold and said maybe it wasn't a SOBO year after all.  She was wrong.  I
stopped reading the listserv at that point, only three days before I left.

There was a wave in 2005.   This made SOBO hiking relatively easier.
Why?  Why is hiking SOBO more difficult?

I've been doing month or longer section hikes since 1992 - four of
them.  Except for the first one with a 70 pound pack and girlfriend I
was madly in love with, I've hiked alone.  I spend at least two weeks
each summer hiking alone.

I realized this year that perhaps I really wasn't cut out to hike for
weeks on end alone.  When you're alone the filters that keep your focus
in the external world slowly disintegrate.  For most of us, me included,
this disintegration involves a slow realization I have to face my
demons, the internal stuff , big emotions.  Being-alone for weeks on end
is intense.  A person has to have a really excellent sense of internal
balance and harmony to greet each day with excitement and curiosity.

Being alone for weeks on end is intense...  What the hell does this
mean???  I still haven't figured it out.  This summer my most memorable
moments consisted of the time I spent with other persons, one on one.  I
spent three hours hiking with Donkey, and we hiked about ten miles.
That was the marker distinguishing the early from later part of my trip
- struggling to hike 15 miles a day and then easily hiking 20 miles by
3PM.  In Cascade Locks Gizmo, Donkey and I drank beer, and when Burn
showed up, we drank some more and had pizza.  I remember talking with
Burn and being so damn honest it hurt...

I spent three hours at the Warm Springs River with Gizmo talking about
the meaning of life, how to make what we mean happen.  I spent an hour
with two guys in Trout Lake eating burgers served by an absolutely
gorgeous woman who smiled equally at us all.  In an hour I had a friend
that I knew I could have counted on to help me find a place to live, a
job, and good pot...  For those of you in my age bracket - 53 - you know
how difficult it is to find kindred souls in the world.

I saw that Skittles is going to hike the CDT this summer.  He was part
of a triad - they were called the VIPs.  They perhaps formed the nucleus
of this year's wave.  I would have loved to have spent four hours with
every one I met this summer.  However, there was something inside me
that eschewed the wave, hiking together and camping together.

Why is hiking alone hard?  I don't think I'm coming any closer to
answering this question.  Maybe I find it difficult because I'm
emotional in a man's body and when alone the emotionality emerges I
don't have the tools to cope.  How do you continue day after day when
every emotion is a potential trigger to cry?  In the midst of this,
there is no sensible end, no perceived benefit, no light at the end of
the tunnel.  there is only the intense emotions that lead to tears and
the seeming inevitability of tears with no karmic resolution.

It is so hard to trust the process, to maintain a witness to the
process, and just let it happen.  Modern society doesn't value this, and
hence, doesn't give us the tools to move through this kind of growth
process.  As soon as it gets intense emotionally, we go to the fire and
huddle with other humans. When  a person spends day after day alone, the
desire to leave the trail/trip becomes ever more a lighted torch
pointing the way.  Why put up with the intense emotions when you could
be hanging with friends and family?

That this also means having a job, paying rent/mortgage, etc., etc.,
etc...  It's this part that recedes into the background while alone on
the trail.  The pure, intense, emotional pain that living on the trail
alone entails makes the routines of boring, meaningless citified life
seem attractive.  You laugh!  Go out and spend a month alone on the
trail.  Don't plan a thru-hike.  Plan a section hike where your whole
intent is to be alone in the wilderness.  See what happens.

I don't really want to spend a month alone any more.  I want to spend a
month, six months if possible, hiking with a lover.  The intensity is
the same, but you get to share it with a soul-mate.  The month I spent
with Jane, an ex-fiance, on the trail is one that I remember really
well.  How many other months in my life do I remember with such
clarity?  not many...

I started hiking alone at 19, in 1971.  The challenge no longer has the
majesty it once did.  I feel I'd rather hang with a woman and explore
with her than do it alone.  I still don't think I could participate in
"The Wave."  But that's me.

Jeff, Just Jeff...