From: "carol Whitehouse Bruno" <carolbruno@cox.net>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 7:11 AM
Subject: [pct-l] altitude sickness

To all the savants out there:

What is the deal with altitude adjustment?  Last weekend my husband and I
went to Flagstaff and hiked Humphrey's (12,000+) mountain and I had a real
hard time with the altitude.  I was wondering, if I hiked in Flag once a
week, would that help aclimate for the higher altitudes on the JMT this
summer; OR, is that impossible to do on a once a week basis?  How much time
is required for acimation?  Someone told me that it takes as long as a month
at the higher elevations.  Compared to other parts of the PCT, my mileage on
the JMT is almost cut in half.  Any 'words of wisdom' for us low desert and
sea level folks?  Or, do I just have to downshift in he higher
altitudes?---bummer!

Can'tquit