[pct-l] Re: Cholesterol (was, Caffiene)

> Just for the record...cholesterol is only found in foods of animal
> origin (meat, eggs, dairy).  Coconut oil is high in saturated fat and
> may be undesirable for that reason (any fat that's solid at room
> temperature is questionable), but it has no cholesterol.  Actually
> the typical hiker's diet tends to be low in fats (while on the trail,
> I mean!), so that might make it more desirable in this case, rather
> than less so.

Shelley is correct about cholesterol and saturated fats. She is
on the mark about the desirability of fats when thru-hiking, too.
The only type of fat you should shun at all times would be the
trans-fats.

A good way to think of a thru-hike is that your body will be
expected to walk the distance of a marathon run... except
with FAR more elevation gain and loss...while carrying a load
often 30 lbs or more...after sleeping all night on the ground...
at high elevation.

Then, the next day, you do it all over again! And the next day,
too! And the day after that! With only a few days of rest for
about four months.

Under such extreme exertions, your body will crave every
calorie, and nutrient, it can get. Excluding water weight and
indigestible fiber (which are present in just about every food
to some degree) one gram of pure protein or one gram of
pure carbohydrate yields 4 calories. One gram of pure fat
yields 9 calories. Obviously, fat is worth its weight when you
may be trying to eat (and carry!!) 5000 or 6000 calories/day!

A good rule of thumb is always shoot for food that averages
4 calories per gram or higher (about 110 cal. per ounce or
more). You can figure this out from the Nutrition labels on
the package. Since water and fiber will force down the average
cal/gram, this means you must make up the difference with fat.

I hope this bit of rudimentary info will help someone on the
list who is still learning the ropes.