From: "AsABat" <asabat@cox.net>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 11:05 AM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Strider's March 1 Irresponsible First Sierra Entry Date

I did Mather Pass sobo the last week of July 1998, which was a very high
snow year. The Golden Staircase was free of snow (it gets a lot of afternoon
sun), but from Upper Palisade Lake to Mather was solid snow and ice. Two of
us with instep crampons and ice axes stomped steps for the others without.
The cornice had reduced to a vertical wall that we lowered the packs over by
rope.

Pictures at
http://www.geocities.com/bsa651/news/1998/newjul98pic.htm

Another problem was high stream crossings. Middle Fork of the Kings was not
crossable at the Taboose Pass Trail junction. Fortunately, we knew this and
stayed on the east side crosscountry rather than follow the trail.

The ranger at the bottom of the Bishop Pass Trail told us he had only seen
30 hikers so far that summer (on the Muir Trail!) and no one else had gone
south.

AsABat