[pct-l] Training hikes, Hiker Tips

Sorry if this is a repeat, I sent it last night from my pocketmail but it doesn't show up on either list.

  It has warmed up here in Minneapolis this week, up to 40 degrees!
Yesterday I went for a 9 mile hike on a gravel trail, today 20 miles on
a paved trail - Ugh!! Both are "Rails to trails" so were flat and
rather boring but they run right past my sister's house so are
convenient. Actually half of today's trail was a trail around 3 lakes, would
be really pretty in the Spring. They were cross country skiing, para
snowboarding and wind snowboarding on the ice, looked like fun.

Had 30 lbs in my Vapor Trail, felt good for about 15 miles, shoulders
got a bit sore after that. Helping out Switchback here, I'm sure most
of you know these but if anyone is new to backpacking it may be of
help. To relieve your shoulders try these ideas...hook your thumbs in
the chest straps and push forward a bit, pulls your shoulders forward
ands feels good. Put your hands on your hips and hook your thumbs on
the straps, also moves your shoulders back. "Windmill" your arms
around, going forward and backwards, for me it works best if I bend my
elbows at 90 degrees. Finally put your hands on the top off your head
{like a POW} and lock your fingers together to hold them there.
Alternate methods as needed and based on how foolish you feel with people
watching!

Now for sore feet....if you feel an ache or pain in your foot, stop
and stretch your feet, try to straighten your foot by moving the front
down gently and then move it back like you are trying to touch your
toes to your leg. Alternate between the two, trying to stretch a
little farther each time. It's easier sitting or laying down but you can
do one foot at a time when standing up. Repeat at night in bed, before
going to sleep and when{ever} you wake up. This helped me get rid of planters facietes {sp?} a few years ago.

One last item, as Yogi and others have said, take out the standard
insole inserts and put in good ones. I forgot on a new pair of shoes
today and got a hot spot on the balls of both feet at mile 19. They
were fine yesterday for 9 miles, maybe I should have only gone for 15
miles today. Train, train, train before the PCT. Don't try to get in
shape on the trail. IMHO

Vic

  Check out my new blog for current events and my PCT hike info:
  http://360.yahoo.com/vichansonperu

  Check out my blog for photos and stories of my adventures in Peru:
http://spaces.msn.com/members/vichanson/