[pct-l] blue collar support

It's not that you're not needed, like me, you likely don't have the
skill set to mount/manage/support multi-million dollar legal
protection campaigns. That's what it takes to stand toe-to-toe with
Big Timber and Big Mining year after year to protect the wilderness.
Ever written a grant for, say, half a million? Ever made it your goal
this month to find a couple dozen new donors in the seven figure
income bracket?
PCTA is well intentioned, and they are getting some attention, but
does the organization have the horsepower to   fund an office in
Washington D.C. indefinitely, not to mention the wherewithal to do
anything effective with that presence? Very few .orgs do. Sierra
Club, Nature Conservancy, and a couple of others.
I've worn blue, white, green and military collars. Took me over 20
years to earn my degree. I might get a foot in the door with my PR
background, but I'm a bush league player at best. Unless I want to
sign with a big corporation.
However, you've got a very good point and one that has been made
recently. Environmentalists and  loggers/miners really share the same
interests in the long term. The sticking point is that the loggers
and miners who still have a job are mostly working for big
corporations and have to as long as possible. Everything we have
depends on something that grew or was dug out of the ground. My beef
is with the companies that leave a mess behind because cleaning up
after themselves doesn't contribute to their bottom line. I consider
empty aquifers, depleted oil reserves, monoculture forests as a 'mess.'

I've been a Sierra Club member for a long, long time and sometimes it
seems like I'm tossing my annual dues down a dry hole. But there
wouldn't be as many wild places without them.