Fw: [pct-l] Once bitten on the trail?

Mtnned@aol.com wrote:

>We have discussed sex and the moving party on trail, but that doesn't apply
>to the solo hiker who is equally smitten.
>
>When it is all said and done, is it the bond we share with fellow hikers
>struggling to accomplish the same adventure (as Donna referred to), or is it the
>bond we develop with the mountains, the air, the streams, the wild?

For me it is the increase in number of moments, and longer and longer
moments in which I find myself in harmony in the world.  It's more of a
spiritual odyssey than movement from point a to b.  It is the deepening
of intensity and perspective over time that draws me back to the trail
and long section hikes.  I can be alone in the world a way not possible
elsewhere in my life.  The bonus is that "the world" is the wilderness
and accelerates the process...

Jeff Olson
Martin, SD