[pct-l] forest service lands for sale

that was very informative and well put. It makes sense as well. Sad, but
true...

"And yet, though politically unpopular to speak of, this is money that use
to come from the logging industry. I not only live in an area where a sale
could effect my friends and I, also know how the loss of that revenue has
devastated many peoples careers, lives, and the schools that had been
receiving these funds for many, many years. Their loss due to cut back in
logging and buying most our lumber from foreign countries, is very
specifically a result of the agencies and folks who are now fighting this
sale.

  I don't want to start a flame war,but i cant let this stand, it is totally
untrue.
  Let me start by saying ,I've spent a lot of time in your area and have
relatives in the area .my uncle was  in the logging industry ,and I've
discussed this with him at length,so i know what im talking about.
  The "environmentalists have destroyed logging" is a myth, a lie,
perpetuated by the logging industry so they dont have to tell the truth or
take personal responsibility for their actions.What to know where your jobs
went? start with mechanization. The feller/buncher has cost more logging
jobs than all the environmentalists put together. Want to know where all the
mill jobs went? take a day trip to eureka or coos bay,watch as they load
logs and jobs onto ships to countries where they pay less then a dollar an
hour.
  The plain truth is in this day and age, single industry towns are becoming
obselete,corperate consolidation is killing towns right and left,from
midwest farm communities to northwest logging towns and the people that are
suffering most are the biggest supporters of these policies.
  even if we upped cutting on public lands,the benefit to your community
would be negligible .mill jobs are never coming back,and with less manpower
needed for harvesting, job creation would be small.
  So why is big timber pushing  for more ? follow the money. in all the
years that the forest service has been in charge of public lands they have
only shown a profit twice(once in the 50s,and once in the 80s)the more they
cut, the more they can sell overseas with, the profit going to corporate
headquarters(probably based in the tax haven of the Bahamas)your town gets
nothing, and as a bonus, the cut over land stops being a diverse forest, and
turns into a federally subsidised tree farm.

  As for this being a school issue.let me put it this way, if anyone out
there believes this is really about schools,please get in touch with me  i
have some oil money i need to move out of Nigeria.
  This has nothing to do with school funding ,its a smokescreen, a political
ploy,a land mine  for the midterm elections. cant you just see the
commercials:
  NOT ONLY DOES SENATOR SMITH HATE AMERICA,HE HATES SCHOOL CHILDREN,HE VOTED
AGAINST FUNDING RURAL SCHOOLS.

  Please dont take this as a personal attack,im trying to help, you've been
duped ,dont take my word for it,check it out for yourself and then spread
the word .