[pct-l] Getting off the trail between Idyllwild and Cabazon?

I concur with Oilcan, except I would hike to Wellman Divide, but instead of taking the PCT tread to the west I would then head east down to the Tram.  This way it is very easy to regain the tread on subsequent outings.  One more thing.... DO NOT tell the workers in the tram station that you didn't pay to go up or they will make you pay!
Once on the tram strike up a conversation with your fellow passengers and you shouldn't have any trouble getting a ride to where you want to go.  I know a gal who frequently hikes the 10,000 foot trail from PS to the top and NEVER has any trouble getting a ride all the way to her car.
Capt Bivy

Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 12:57:34 -0800
From: "Mike Saenz" <msaenz@mve-architects.com>
Subject: RE: [pct-l] Getting off the trail between Idyllwild and
        Cabazon?
To: <djm1313@foo21.com>, <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>

If the goal is to get to PS, then head east from Saddle Junction. Really
nice country between Saddle J and the tramway. You can hike from Saddle
J to the tramway in about 4-6 hours, depending on how fast you walk and
how much time you want to spend in the upper basin.

As far as I know, there are no viable run-outs from the PCT between
Idyllwild and Cabazon (and I wouldn't want to hitch in Cabazon...).

Take the Tram down. The Tram ride itself is really cool. I think you'll
need a ride from the bottom tram station into PS. It's a real long
driveway from the 111 to the bottom tram station.
Michael Saenz ,  Associate Partner