[pct-l] Idyllwild verses Cabazon

 Idyllwild is a " Downer" with all the trapping  of a Get- A-Way town. Mostly crowded streets of people, ( Which they all went there to get a way from) Fat old guys on noisy bikes, young smug guys on " Rice Rockets" all trying to look different, yet all looking the same. Trailheads that look like mail parking lots the day before Christmas.  PAJeff and I did go there on a side trip from Paul and Pat's in 2003 who live in Anza. Bottom line is I was happy to leave . Idyllwild is a town that " Was" cool before the masses found it..  I never wanted to hike  down there off the PCT as you just have a big climb back up only to drop 8,000ft again. There are many nice side-trips along the PCT, but Idyllwild is not high on my list.. Cabazon does have Hadley's and a great Icon. Cabazon makes better sense to resupply out of as well. ( Get a " Date Shake" at Hadleys) Downtown Cabazon is like something out of a documentary . Lots of brown paper bags filled with broken dreams and cheap booze.  I have a feeling Cabazon is where you moving after you have been booted from everywhere else. Still , the old chipped paint houses would make a great day to spent with a few rolls of your favorite B/W film as does the character and beards of many of it's homeless men.  The town looks much the same as it did in 1977. ( San Diago Truckers found a body in an old gas station that year) I am sure in that area , it is more common than not.   OK,,,,,,, the winner is,,, Still Cabazon.