[pct-l] non-PCT talk

Such the ecologist Jeff. I love it! Maybe I can help with the pika study:)

Jeff Moorehead <jeffmoorehead1@cox.net> wrote:
  Chai Guy,
What a good memory you have! Unfortunately most items on your list are
contrived. Don't become a lawyer :)
Butl let me give your list a try:

Global Warming>> I think this is a relevant topic to the PCT list as it
affects the rate of disappearance of glaciers and permanent snow fields and
the vertical ranges of species you're likely to see on the PCT. I managed to
get ahold of some data sets on the vertical ranges of pikas. I'm going to
take natural history notes on my trip to make comparisons. I think this
subject is one of the most relevant 'big picture' topics to be brought up
on the list. I grant you that it happens to have its political repercussions
as well. But I got the idea for the pika study from a link someone posted
here...
--
NAFTA, >>I haven't encountered this topic on the list

Clear Cutting, >> I haven't encountered this topic on the list but I would
think this is extremely relevant where it encroaches on the PCT corridor.

American Indian Tribal Sovereignty,>> I haven't encountered this topic on
the list

Tookie Williams >>I haven't encountered this topic on the list

California Condor Conservation>> again, why don't people look outside of the
human species for interesting topical discussions? Someday, you might be
able to walk through the San Bernadinos and San Gabriels on the PCT and
actually see these birds flying in their once natural habitat. You have no
interest in this?

Strip Mining>> see clear cutting

Leonard Peltier>> definitely not on this list
,
George Bush's Policy onthe Environment>> not relevant????

9/11>>I haven't encountered this topic on the list

The War in Iraq>> I haven't encountered this topic on the list

Hetch Hetchy >> I haven't encountered this topic on the list

California Campaign for Clean Water>> I'll agree but I never saw the
discussion on this list

Gulf War Syndrome>> same

TomKat >> you're scraping

Samuel Alito >>who?
Earth First!>>.....
Coalition for Clean Air>>...
Controlled Burns >> again, I see this as relevant.. but you don't

Should we open up all of these topics for conversation on the list
because someone feels that they can be connected in "in the big
picture" to the PCT? >> Yes I think we should, at least the ones that are
relevant. Most of the topics you brought up are not relevant and thus have
never emerged on this list...

I'm not in favor of drilling in ANWR, I'm just not in favor of
discussing it on a list that is supposed to be about hiking the PCT.
>> I thought the list was about all topics related to the PCT, not just the
>> logistics of hiking it. Environmental degradation and preservation seem
>> to be relevant in my opinion-- I have learned a great deal but about the
>> politics of preservation from many astute members who contribute their
>> thoughts here.

In a larger sense, this whole discussion we are having emanates from not
being able to get out hiking, I'm stuck here at home -- otherwise I wouldn't
have spent time on this reply-- so I guess we are still relevant!!! See you
on the trail with my pika notes in hand...

Jennifer Head

Ph.D. Candidate
Oregon Institute of Marine Biology
P.O. Box 5389