[pct-l] ANWR drilling - blocked

That seems to be the sad legacy of humanity all over the world. The oceans
are depleted to feed the masses, the rainforests and forests everywhere cut
down for shelter and heating fuel, the earth drained of its oil so we can
drive our cars.  And, as much as we hate all that, we as humans are a part
of that to this very day.

To truly live without taking the earth's resources is something that few, if
any, of us can claim. The electricity I'm using this moment is likely the
result of a wild river being dammed somewhere, the chair and desk I'm using
home I live in are made of wood, and in a short while I'll get in my car and
drive to work. Hardly anything I use hasn't been taken from the earth in
some way.  I don't like this truth, but I am a part of the problem.  We all
are.

I harbor the belief that the reason we love to return to the wilderness (and
passionately desire to keep wild areas) is the counter-consumption desire
and need to be a part of nature, to be connected and immersed in it, rather
than be a part of its destruction.  For during that time, we walk softly and
leave no trace.

Then we get into some kind of vehicle at the end of the trail and it all
starts over again.

I think I need to have my coffee (picked in some South American country,
sailed over by oil slick producing, garbage dumping shipping tankers, and
delivered to my store by massive gas-guzzling trucks, and packaged in
something that will wind up in a land fill).  Sigh.

L-Rod

...and yet the world is still full of love and natural beauty beyond words.

JoAnn
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat.   Theodore Roosevelt