[pct-l] ANWR Drilling - Blocked

Almost 30 years ago (unbelievable where the time goes!), I spent the
summer in Arctic Village, Alaska, at the southern edge of ANWR, and in
other villages just outside the area.  More of the young people in their
teens and 20's were excited about the new pipeline because it meant
jobs.  The other jobs available to them were firefighting in the summer
for the BLM, and trapping in the winter.  Walmart had not yet found its
way into the interior of Alaska.  Jobs are still scarce.

I don't really care too much one way or the other about drilling in
ANWR, but if it takes place I am confident that no ecological crisis
will develop as a result.  The Porcupine herd of caribou still measures
in the hundreds of thousands and still migrates to the area currently
being drilled.  Prince William Sound is recovering from the Exxon Valdez
spill.  Is there any lasting damage from the Santa Barbara oil spill of
1969?

Thirty years ago people were speaking of Global Freezing, water wars
(not the squirt-gun type), and food shortages.  Now we see that the food
shortages are caused by local and geopolitical corruption more than
anything else, and we are worrying about Warming.  I think we worry
about these things more than we really ought to, because things aren't
as bad as we think they are.  In the developed world we

Live longer

Live healthier

Enjoy more technological toys

Travel more