[pct-l] On Ice Axe Leashes

"Doodad PCT" wrote:

> This smaller leash is sized so that the smaller loop fits over the top
> of
> the ice axe head and tightly locks around my uphill wrist.

It's good to read a correct and definitive statement regarding correct
wrist strap placement - over the head, and not dangling down the near
side of the axe.

Many years ago in teaching I learned that the novice would see the
wrist strap and unconsciously decide to put the hand up through the
strap on the near side and then raise it to grip the ice axe head.
WRONG!

As a related aside, European ice axes sold with the wrist strap
attached have a curious twist in its webbing, as if the (usually sewn)
loop was twisted accidentally before the ends were sewn together. This
twist would be noticeable when the leash was wrongly used.

The CORRECT placement of the wrist strap is as follows (detailing step
by step). With the head of the axe up and with its adz pointed in the
direction of the thumb, pull the strap up with its slider on the far
(uphill) side of the axe head, away from the climber's body. Pull the
loop up high and put the hand through the loop from the near side. The
loop is now on top of the wrist. Lower the hand so the palm grips the
ice axe head. Note that the strap is now UNDER the palm and OVER the
ice axe head. For most people, the loop is large enough to make a nice,
comfortable attachment to the wrist.

Notice now also that the webbing twist is gone! both sides of the loop
now lie flatly over the axe head and secure the hand to the axe while
wrapping nicely around the climber's wrist.

The reason this wrist strap placement is so important is because if an
accident occurs with frostbitten or cold hands, the ice axe hand does
not need to actually grip the axe head for a successful self arrest.
Check it out, the fingers can be left open and while pulling downward,
the head of the axe will remain firmly attached to the wrist, and there
is little chance of a dangling and "flailing" ice axe in the event the
grip is lost.

Some new American ice axes in the 1970s appeared on the market with the
obligatory wrist strap, but the manufacturer had forgotten or never
knew the purpose of the 180-deg twist in the wrist strap loop, and
failed to put it there. (It was a California company with an REI
account, and not a Colorado company!)

Regards,
Campy, PCTA Project Leader