[pct-l] Calling all Women Hikers!

Given Richard?s skepticism, I thought it was worth
clarifying my position, particularly in case any of
those who have already responded to me are now
concerned. I?m a UK medical doctor, registered with
the General Medical Council ? anyone who wishes to
confirm that can visit the GMC?s website to check
http://webcache.gmc-uk.org/ods/home.do  As Donna & WS
Monty have observed, Dave & I were on the trail this
year and known by many people on it, however I
appreciate this does not necessarily carry over to the
PCT-L.

As noted by Donna, the existing data Richard refers to
are relevant to athletics in particular, but involve
very different physiological profiles to thru-hiking.
They are rarely associated with long-term dietary
deprivation, or with extended (multi-month) periods of
exercise without rest. Climbing and running forums
would therefore not be an appropriate place to gather
this kind of data. A thru-hiker is achieving weekly
mileages equivalent to an Olympic marathoner in
training, but without the benefit of regular physical
and dietary monitoring. I am not aware of any research
studies into these topics in female thru-hikers? if
anyone has such references I would be very interested
to read them.

If anyone would like to contribute but is concerned
about privacy, you can easily email me through an
anonymous account. I do not require a personal address
and you are welcome to leave your name off the form I
send you.

Thanks for your time,

Michele Toms