[pct-l] Calling all women hikers!

Richard,
There still seems to be an element of confusion here
as to the topic of the research. At the moment, when
it comes to medical issues for women on long distance
hikes, I believe we?re still at the stage of
?unconscious incompetence?, ie we don?t even know what
we don?t know. It would be nice to get beyond the
stage of women having to ?just deal with it?
particularly when it comes to stress fractures.
Whilst there is evidence that weight bearing exercise
in older women protects against osteoporosis, the
situation is somewhat different for thru-hikers. The
potential induction of a low-oestrogen state by the
intensity and periodicity of exercise may instead
render women more susceptible to osteoporosis, rather
than protecting them as you are suggesting. I am aware
of at least 3 cases of stress fractures in women on
the trail this year.

As I stated in my first post, this would be similar to
Female Athelete Triad which is well recognised (and is
probably what your colleagues are referring to). This
Triad includes osteoporosis in _young_ women (rather
than the traditional age bracket that you seem to be
alluding to in your post).  What we don?t know, is
whether what applies to track athletes applies to long
distance hikers.  We might ASSUME it does, but there
is no evidence (that I?m aware of) to support that
view.

In both your posts you have referred to an extensive
body of research on womens? health and long distance
hiking. If you could provide any references detailing
this it would be of interest to me, and I?m sure, to
others on the list.

Regards,
Michele Toms