From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Richard Calliger
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 11:08 AM
To: dsaufley@sprynet.com; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Calling all Women Hikers!

Thank you for your (very kind) explanation.

However, having done my thru hike and several marathons...they are very
close!

I trained for example, for 12 months for the SF marathon and the Santa Cruz
tri plus a ton of 10k's inbetween (training races really). My dr (Dr Wang)
and my coach concur with me...it is kinda weird - many many studies have
been done they both have heard of...and my female marathon training partner,
Kitty, agrees... we actually trained **MORE** for the marathon than hiking!
'simply 'cause we are after sub 2:50 marathon!!! andnot sub-anything on the
trail!!! :-)

Your courtesy is respected and appreciated. Factually, however I disagree as
the real studies show different than your opinion. I therefore hold my
position and remain a skeptic.  The nicest people have been proven over and
over again to have ulterior motives.. AND YOU NEVER know until Dr #$#@
murdered his wife and 2 patients...and another Dr took advantage of an
anesthized (sp??_) patient...etc etc..there is reason for concern, albeit it
may be minor with your wonderful character reference!! I know one or two MDs
ruin if for all..but hey..that is life-- on the trail and at home...

But we should take this offline as it is getting far afield and not really
germaine to completing a thru-hike. My female friends just deal with it as
it occurs and they say no biggie-- women are all over the map...
just as men are in their changes of food/bodily/other functions change under
long distance/thru hiking conditions.

HYOH and my most sincerest regards for your answer!

Richard

Richard

dsaufley@sprynet.com wrote:
Richard,

I can understand and respect your skepticism, but I would like to vouch for
Dr. Michele Toms as being very legitimate, and not some nut job soliciting
personal information.

Thru-hiking is NOT like marathons or any other sports activity that have
relatively shorter windows of training and event. We're talking about doing
a marathon every day, carrying 25-35+ lbs., every day for months. While
there are some corollaries , there are also differences. How many
marathoners do you know who sleep on the ground and eat trail food at the
end of every day? Very few other sports go on for five or six months, and
I'll wager that no one has studied the effects of thru-hiking (specifically)
and it's effects on women.

As a woman, I'd like to know what Michele learns, so I heartily endorse
Micheles quest for information and encourage female long-distance hikers to
participate. Michele is the real deal.

Donna Saufley
aka L-Rod