[pct-l] when to hang food... Washington or elsewhere

OK, here's my opinion on hanging food... I do it every single night, if at all possible.  There are times when it is impossible, like when there are no trees or other suitable structures around.  But absent this rather infrequent occurrence, I ALWAYS hang my food.

Why?  Because I don't want wild creatures, bears or others, getting my food.

Also,  I believe that to sleep with or right next to one's food is poor judgment.  I don't want a bear or other critter that close to me when I'm sleeping.  If such an animal comes close, perhaps it may scratch or bite me if I startle it.  I want that animal a fair distance from me.

I know full well that many hikers choose to sleep with their food or have it close by.  And if it works for them, then that's fine.  I happen to select a different strategy.

-- Moondancer