[pct-l] Dehydrating Food

I'm having tons o' fun dehydrating food. Right now I'm in the testing phase
and I'm almost exclusively using the book entitled "Lipsmackin' Backpackin'"
and also the newer vegetarian version. What a great book! Many of the
recipes were delivered to the authors by none other than dyed-in-the-wool
PCTers-- some right here on the list. Llamalady (Marion Davidson) has
submitted some excellent recipes. I highly recommend this book.

I'm also vacuum packaging each dish and basically testing whether it is
still good after several weeks at room temperature. Also, after packaging, I
calculate the packaged weight per serving and then divide this into the
number of calories per serving. This gives you a kind of 'caloric density'
of the food that can be used to balance your diet along the trail. The best
I've encountered so far is 270 calories per oz. (haven't switched to metric
yet). The average is 175 cal/oz. This highlights another big advantage of
dehydrating that people often don't consider-- and that is that it really
lightens the load! It's amazing how light these foods get. Also, store
bought dried food is not to be compared to home dehydrated. The latter
reconstitutes faster and back to nearly the same consistency and texture.

Obviously I'm a big fan of this process. We'll see how chipper I am after
dehydrating and preparing some 250 packages. Maybe I'll have a big
'dehydration party', or possibly 'Tom Sawyer' some of the work out to
someone who fancies themselves an expert in the food preparation process.
Wish me luck....