[pct-l] Dehydrating Food

It's been a looong time since I spent lots of time dehydrating food - but I
can attest to the superior quality of stuff you've prepared yourself.  We
never had the thru-hiker hunger at town stops, and never ate ramen (totally
useless non-nutritious non-food item, except for the salt content).  Then
again, we spent twice as long cooking our dinners.

I've got a couple of suggestions in addition to the excellent books already
mentioned -

1. Don't try to dehydrate your entire trip's worth of food.  You may find
you get sick of something and want variety - even if it's ramen.  Then
you'll have wasted LOTS of time spent dehydrating and packaging when you
could have been conditioning your body instead (a mistake I made).
2. Go easy on the fruit leather (it tends to wreak revenge on you).
3. Frozen veggies, including peas, beans & corn, dehydrate and reconstitute
well.
4. Compare the time/energy expense of making your own bean soups &
dehydrating them with the cost of bulk dehydrated soup flakes.  The latter
might be a better bargain in the long run.  You really do need the time to
condition your body & feet.
5. Use "Pantry Pest Traps" by Safer (available at Home Depot, some
nurseries, probably OSH, other places) where you store your dehydrated food,
if it's not in the freezer, and in the room where you store your resupply
packages (if you store them for a friend to ship them on).  These will
capture the wandering granary moth and save you having to deal with an
infestation on returning home.  We had several boxes left over because of
truncating our trip - and a nasty mess in our storeroom (eewww...mealworms).
6. If you buy bulk rolled oats for breakfast cereal - either toast or freeze
them to kill pantry moth eggs.  Trust me on this one.  I didn't.  Whoops.

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
PCT partially '94

www.pcta.org
Join Now!

Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached its top.  Then
you will know how low it was.
                                                                     Dag
Hammarskjold