[pct-l] Dehydrating Food

Though not a PCT hiker, I did the JMT last summer and used this technique
for my hike. I own a Ronco dehydrator from Target, and it's worked well for
the past 3 years. I've done jerkey, fruit leather, dried tomato sauce/paste,
various chunked veggies and fruits. I usually make most of my summer hiking
food in the spring as I find good prices. I kept jerkey for about 3 months,
no problems(trimmed off all fat, and it was VERY dry). Also the tomato sauce
and fruit leathers(most berries work really well) lasted the entire summer
without going bad. May I also suggest a vaccuum sealer, this will add months
onto the storage time, especially if you are shipping it places. Not to
mention it helps to save space.
Eric J Lee,  long time lurker