[pct-l] Re: [FixingYourFeetEzine] Fixing Your Feet E-zine - August 2005

Hi  Just got  "Fixing Your Feet"   3rd Edition   a friend gave me a Barnes and Noble card so I'm ready to read, Just got 2 huge blisters yesterday doing 4.5 miles in my sandals, now to fix them, I have a month before my vacation and I don't want anything slowing me down.       Remember         "Be Prepared"
           Ground Pounder   Bill       "Semper Fi"
PS  I don't remember ever having blisters in the Marine Corps----- Original Message -----
  From: John Vonhof
  To: FixingYourFeetEzine@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 10:06 AM
  Subject: [FixingYourFeetEzine] Fixing Your Feet E-zine - August 2005

       My Groups | FixingYourFeetEzine Main Page

  FIXING YOUR FEET E-zine
  ---------------------------------
  Volume 5, Issue 8, August 2005
  John Vonhof, Footwork Publications
  mailto:johnvonhof@comcast.net
  http://www.footworkpub.com
  Copyright, August 2005, All rights reserved
  ---------------------------------
      PURPOSE
  ---------------------------------
  The Fixing Your Feet E-zine is published the middle of each month to
  inform and educate athletes and non-athletes about proper foot care
  skills and techniques, provide tips on foot care, review foot care
  products, and highlight problems people have with their feet.
  ---------------------------------
      THIS ISSUE IN SUMMARY
  ---------------------------------
  The editorial, Four Years of Foot Care, reviews the content shared
  through this E-zine over the past four years. It also introduces my
  new Happy Feet blog. The feature article by Karl King looks at the
  relationship between blisters and black toenails and the sodium in
  your body. There are two great products in the Products section, one
  Tip, and a Question. The Bad Feet Contest has a great shot of
  toenail blister. The Non-Feet Good stuff has several products to
  check out. Then finally, the reader feedback is always worth
  reading.

  ---------------------------------
      CONTENTS
  ---------------------------------
  This issue features:
  1.  Editorial: Four Years of Foot Care
  2.  Fixing Your Feet 3rd edition
  3.  Featured Foot Care Products
  4.  Foot Care Tips
  5.  Feature Article: Blisters, Black Toenails and Sodium
  6.  Question of the Month - Compression Socks
  7.  The Bad Feet Contest!
  8.  Non-Feet Good Stuff
  9.  Reader Feedback and Comments

  ---------------------------------
  1.  EDITORIAL: Four Years of Foot Care
  by John Vonhof
  ---------------------------------
  This issue marks a milestone. It marks four years of giving
  editorial advice, feature articles, tips, and product information on
  foot care and footwear. It has been quite the trip. The addition of
  the Bad Feet Contest has been fun and informative. It shows what can
  happen if one fails to heed advice, or sometimes, when stuff
  just `happens.' Below is a listing of all the editorials and
  feature articles the e-zine has carried over the past four years. In
  four years, I have skipped only one month-November 2001, and I
  don't even remember why.
       Fixing Your Feet, now in its 3rd edition, has become a popular
  book for athletes and this Fixing Your Feet E-zine has become a
  staple for those wanting information between editions.
       Now there is something new. I started a new service to fill
  another need-a blog, "Happy Feet: Expert Foot Care Advice for
  People Who Love Their Feet." You can check it out at
  http://www.vonhof.typepad.com/happy_feet/

       A blog is like a journal where new subjects are posted as often
  as the owner wants. I will be writing an entry every day, or when
  time is tight, about every other day. Blogs are meant to be
  informative and this will be fun. Most entries will be a few hundred
  words at the most. A quick read. I'll talk about foot care issues
  and experiences, footwear and foot care products, and tips. This
  will not replace the monthly e-zine--I'll still do that every month.
  The blog is a way to get information out to you sooner. It allows
  you to comment at any time and to see what others write. I invite
  you to check it our and tell me what you think. Here are recent
  topics:
  -  Be Careful Out There
  -  Healthy Skin and Toenails = Healthy Feet
  -  Size Matters
  -  The Insole Test
  -  Trimming Toenails
  -  Our Aging Feet
  -  An Intense Focus on Feet
  -  Proper Footwear
  -  The Right Sock for the Right Shoe
  -  Tossing Socks
  -  The Right Footwear Can Make all the Difference
       Initial feedback has been good. The blog has averaged 66 page
  views per day. Michael Cowart wrote: "Finally!" Then Bonnie
  added: "The blog looks great keep up the great work!" And
  Fred commented: "I've used your advice on many occasions, and
  passed it on to many more soldiers. An Army might move on its
  stomach, but without feet.... not very far." Again, you can check
  it out at http://www.vonhof.typepad.com/happy_feet/
       Our feet are not static. They change as we age and they are
  affected by conditions which are sometime beyond our control when we
  participate in events that tax them to their extreme. The ever-
  changing market of footwear in shoes, boots, insoles and socks also
  affects them. Ingenuity and creativity has led to the development of
  new and better lubricants, powders, and blister patches. There will
  always be the need for information on our feet. The growing numbers
  of people participating in easy to extreme sports has created a
  hungry audience. Couple this with the growing efforts by footwear
  manufacturers to meet this appetite, and you have a whole
  smorgasbord of topics.
       I welcome your feedback and suggestions on topics. The question
  in this month's issue asks about compression socks. That's
  what makes this e-zine work. The comments and feedback from its
  readers is what keeps it alive. I thank you for your support and
  encouragement for the past four years.

       The following back issues of this E-zine are archived at
  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FixingYourFeetEzine/. Look for the
  calendar at the bottom of the page and click on the desired month.

  2005 Articles
  July -- Patching and More Patching and Bad Toes and Surgery--a
  Comeback
  June -- What I Learn from Touching Feet and Finishing a 100-Miler
  with Healthy Feet
  May -- Summer Foot Care Basics and Conquering the Baatan Memorial
  Death March
  April -- The Value of Certified Pedorthists and Best Feet Forward
  March -- Why carry A Foot Care Kit? and Blister Patches
  February -- The Bionic Shoe and Proprioception
  January 2005 -- Improvise for the Sake of your Feet and Pump Bumps
  on the Heels
  2004 Articles
  December 2004 -- New Year's Resolutions and Your Feet and More on
  Toenails
  November 2004 -- Christmas Gift Ideas for Those That Love Their Feet
  and Fretting About Foot Fungus: Tips for Toenail Treatment
  October 2004 -- What Changed? and The Little Toe Triangle
  September 2004 -- We Live and Learn--From Each Other
  August 2004 -- Products, Products, and More Products and Trying the
  New Inov-8 Trail Shoes
  July 2004 -- Touching Feet and Toenails and Blisters... Again
  June 2004 -- Smart Athletes, Smart Shoes
  May 2004 -- Smart Athletes, Smart Shoes
  April 2004 -- Learning From each Other
  March 2004 -- You CAN Have it Your Way
  February 2004 -- The Top 10 Things That Have Shaped Foot Care
  January 2004 -- Helping Others with Feet Problems and Massaging Your
  Feet
  2003 Articles
  December 2003 -- Curly Toes and Traveling on Foot Over Snow and Ice
  November 2003 -- Christmas Gifts and Shoes
  October 2003 -- Shoe Reviews and Buying Shoes and Come Watson, Come,
  The Game's Afoot
  September 2003 -- Acronyms and Terms and Blisters and Toenails
  August 2003 -- My Feet, Your Feet and Surviving to Run Another Day
  July 2003 -- Bad Feet - It Can Happen to Anyone and The Big Bad Rash!
  June 2003 -- Two Important Factors for Healthy Feet on Trail Runs
  and Chiropractors and Foot Biomechanics
  May 2003 -- Finishing WS100 with Healthy and Happy Feet and
  Orthotics 101
  April 2003 -- The Boy Scout's Motto and Foot Care and Dealing with
  Injury and Surgery, Part II
  March 2003 -- The Need for Foot Care Supplies and Dealing with
  Injuries and Surgery, Part I
  February 2003 -- Preparedness and Ankle Care
  January 2003 -- Cold Feet and Moisture, Cold and Trenchfoot
  2002 Articles
  December 2002 -- The Best of 2001/2002 Tips, Products and Services
  November 2002 -- Feet are Everywhere and Bad Feet, Even in the Army
  October 2002 -- Biomechanics and Extreme Sports and Duct Tape
  Effective in Wart Removal
  September 2002 -- Is There Hope and Stretching After Exercise
  Prevents Injury
  August 2002 -- Weight Training and Foot Care and Sand, Scree, and
  Scorching Pavement
  July 2002 -- Glimpses and Thoughts about Feet and From the Mouths of
  Racers
  June 2002 -- WS100 with Happy and Healthy Feet and Badwater Badfeet
  May 2002 -- Fit, Fit, and Fit and Understanding Tendon Disorders
  April 2002 -- The Boom in Trail Shoes and Being Kind to Your Dogs
  March 2002 -- Gooey Mud and Gaiters
  February 2002 -- The Magic of Fit and Perfect Hindsight or Six
  Lessons Learned the Hard Way
  January 2002 -- Moisture, Cold and Trenchfoot and Loyalty Means
  Shoes Might Not Fit
  2001 Articles
  December 2001 -- Great Gifts and Don't Get Cold Feet
  October 2001 -- New and Improved and Triumph Over Turf Toe
  September 2001 -- Healthy and Happy Feet and Two Keys to Healthy Feet

  Have an opinion on this article? Share your views at
  mailto:johnvonhof@comcast.net

  ---------------------------------
  2.  FIXING YOUR FEET - 3rd Edition
  ---------------------------------
  "IMHO, John Vonhof is a god. I own his 2nd edition, and just
  ordered the 3rd. I thought that I knew everything about my feet too -
  but I think that his book is better than anything else out there for
  new & tested ideas." - Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija - PCT
  Hiker

  "I have your latest book Fixing Your Feet. You should see it now,
  full of turned corners and yellow highlighter." - J?rgen
  Ankenbrand, the Ultra Kraut

  The 3rd edition of Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for
  Athletes is completely revised and updated with black and white
  photos, a general index and a product index, an easier to read
  interior layout with lots of new information, and all product
  information set apart in product boxes. It's 6 x 9 and 342 pages.
  The book can be ordered through your bookstore, sports store, or
  visit my website for autographed and personalized copies at
  http://www.footworkpub.com. I offer the book at 20% off, autograph
  it, and mail it either by Priority Mail or Media Mail (to save a few
  dollars). It can also be purchased from Amazon at
  http://snipurl.com/FixingYourFeet

  ---------------------------------
      SHARE THIS NEWSLETTER
  ---------------------------------
  This newsletter has 1674 subscribers. Please take a moment and
  forward this issue to a friend or two and encourage them to
  subscribe. We grew with more than 44 new subscribers since the last
  issue in July!

  ---------------------------------
  3.  FEATURED FOOT CARE PRODUCTS
  ---------------------------------
  ** All Terrain's products have been mentioned in this e-zine in
  the past. Now I'd like to introduce you to their Foot Bar. This
  is an all-natural, hard milled, soap made especially for your feet.
  It contains eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, Neem Oil, Plantain
  Extract, and oat extract for thrir cleansing power and ability to
  support the skin's healing process. The addition of pumice is
  used to exfoliate tough and callused skin. Each bar comes with a
  resealable bag for travel. Many drug stores are carrying this fine
  line of skin care products. They can also be found at
  http://www.allterrainco.com.

  ** Yankz makes the Sure Lace System for shoes. This is a omfortable,
  stretchy lace cord that conforms to your foot in comparison to
  regular laces that have no give. Initially, you lace the shoe from
  the top down towards the toe, attach the toe clip, and then secure
  the loop. Once laced, the shoes are easily adjusted. The laces are
  available in a variety of colors including a reflective cord. Check
  them out at http://www.yankz.com.

  ---------------------------------
  4.  FOOT CARE TIPS
  ---------------------------------
  ** Lighten up. That may sound very simplistic, but it's true. If
  you are into walking, hiking, trail running or any other sport, you
  can benefit from lightening your load. Change from boots to light
  hikers, Change from light hikers to trail shoes. Change from old
  walking shoes to newer lightweight models. Get a lighter fannypack,
  hydration pack, or backpack. If carrying a pack, lighten its load.
  Go from a tent to a new ultralight tent or a tarp. Change to one of
  the lightweight stoves and take advantage of lighter walking or
  hiking poles. Eliminate gear that you never seem to use but just had
  to pack. Your feet will feel all these weight savings. A weight loss
  of a few pounds will feel like heaven. You'll travel farther and
  your feet will be more comfortable.

  ---------------------------------
  5.  FEATURE ARTICLE: Blisters, Black Toenails and Sodium
  by Karl King
  ---------------------------------
  The layman thinks it is hard to run an ultra because of the great
  distances involved - "I get tired just driving that far."
  Yet foot problems and stomach woes are more threatening to the ultra
  runner than covering a lot of miles.
       Effective digestion requires a sufficient supply of sodium
  ions. The biochemistry of that is beyond the scope of this forum, so
  let's focus on the connection between foot problems and sodium.
       Consider the typical ultra runner standing at the starting
  line. The feet are fine, the stomach is fine and the amount of
  sodium ion in the runner's blood plasma is fine. If those stayed
  the same during the run, the only factor in finishing would be the
  runner's ability to overcome muscle fatigue in the last part of
  the run.
       As the runner proceeds down the course, the body sweats for
  cooling effect (running generates a lot of un-needed heat that has
  to be removed from the body). Sweat normally contains the
  electrolyte ions found in blood plasma. The primary ion in sweat is
  sodium. Potassium amounts in sweat are considerably lower. Other
  ions such as calcium, magnesium and iron are present but in very
  small amounts.
       As sodium is lost in sweat, more and more of it is pulled from
  the blood plasma. There is a normal level of sodium in plasma, and
  body must maintain the plasma sodium concentration within a
  tolerable range. If the sodium concentration falls too far outside
  the range, it can cause death.
       As you might suspect, the body has regulation mechanisms to
  avoid such a catastrophe. If you have too much sodium, thirst
  increases to prompt drinking water that can dilute or flush away any
  extra sodium. If you have too little sodium, the body must get more
  sodium or remove water from the blood plasma. This will lead to an
  increased desire for salty foods. If sodium in not ingested, then an
  alternative mechanism must be used. Your body can move water from
  your blood plasma and put it into extra-cellular spaces between
  tissue cells. That lowers the amount of water in the blood plasma
  and returns the ratio of sodium to water to an acceptable level.
       That's good for your blood stream, but what about that water
  sitting out there between the cells?  The cells that were compact
  now have water around them and that means the mechanical strength of
  the cellular structure is compromised.
       What is unfortunate for ultra runners is that the water will
  collect in the hands and feet because of gravity. It may be alarming
  to see your hands swell up, but it usually won't knock you out of
  an ultra. The big problem is found in the tissues of the feet. As
  you know from this forum, your feet are complex structures that bear
  strong and repetitive insult from the hours of running. Life is hard
  enough for them even when they are not compromised with extra fluid.
  When the fluid in extra-cellular spaces gets to be significant,
  mechanical strength is reduced.
       The feet swell inside the running shoes, putting extra pressure
  on the tissues, and those tissues can be rubbed to the point of
  physical damage. We see blisters form as layers of skin separate,
  and we see toenails move more, damaging the weakened tissues that
  normally anchor them.
       If one is not aware of the part electrolyte status plays in
  tissue strength, it is tempting to blame the socks and/or running
  shoes. Now, if these give you problems on short runs, the blame is
  well founded. If you run four consecutive runs that total 40 miles,
  and the shoe/sock combination works fine, but a single run of 40
  miles produces problems, maybe something else is going on. Another
  tip-off is related to temperature while running.
       If your feet do just fine in cold weather, but have problems in
  hot weather, it could well be a symptom of poor electrolyte status.
  Runners sweat less in the cold, and sodium is not quickly lost. When
  the temperatures climb, sweat rate increases and the loss of too
  much sodium causes problems at a shorter distance than in the cold.
  Runners in cold northern climates rarely have blister problems
  during cold long runs, but can have blisters arrive during longs
  runs when the first hot days of Spring arrive.
       In my personal experience, electrolyte status made a big
  difference in the frequency of black toenails. Before I made my own
  electrolyte supplement, I had six to eight black toenails on a
  regular basis, just like many of my ultra-running friends. When I
  got the hang of how to use the supplements, my black toenails
  gradually healed and I ran ultras for five years with no more
  toenail problems. I made no significant change in shoe or sock type.
  In terms of terrain, I actually ran more difficult terrain over
  those five years.
       Sodium intake can be on a hit-or-miss basis, taking whatever
  might be salty from the aid tables, or it can be controlled by
  taking a supplement. I developed SUCCEED! Buffered Electrolyte Caps
  ( S! Caps ), with 341 mg of sodium per capsule so I would know
  exactly how much sodium I was getting throughout a run. While
  individual results vary, low-sodium problems can be avoided by
  taking one capsule per hour, with water. Since I've used them,
  blisters and black toenails problems are a thing of the past.
       S! Caps are available at either www.ultrafit-endurance.com or
  www.zombierunner.com

  Karl King, is a Principal Scientist, Hach Homeland Security
  Technologies, Loveland Colorado; the President of SUCCEED!
  Sportsdrink LLC, the developer of S! Caps and other sports
  nutritionals, holds seven patents relating to water quality
  measurement technology, is an ultra runner, and former Race Director
  of the Ice Age Trail 50 Mile Run.

  If you have an opinion on this article, please share your views at
  mailto:johnvonhof@comcast.net

  ---------------------------------
  GOT A STORY TO SHARE?
  ---------------------------------
  I am always on the look out for stories to share about their
  adventures with some type of connection to feet. If you have
  something to share, please send an email to me at
  mailto:johnvonhof@comcast.net.

  ---------------------------------
  6.  QUESTION OF THE MONTH - Compression Socks
  ---------------------------------
  William Sichel wrote: "I always enjoy your monthly offerings
  through your newsletter. One point I'd like to raise. I have never
  known you to raise the topic of compression stockings and their
  value in foot and leg health/care? They seem excellent before,
  during and after ultra runs and feel they maybe deserve a
  mention?" If you use or have used, compression socks, please give
  us your opinions. Thanks.

  ---------------------------------
  7.  BAD FEET CONTEST!
  ---------------------------------
  Lisa Bliss submits a great photo of Ferg Hawke's foot right after
  finishing 2nd place at the Badwater Ultramarathon July 12, 2005. See
  the photos at http://www.footworkpub.com/badfeet05.html

  Just think; your feet could be featured in this e-zine for everyone
  to see! Submit your photo or short story by email or snail mail.
  Stories should be no longer than 250 words. Send them to
  mailto:johnvonhof@comcast.net or by snail mail to Footwork
  Publications, 352 Fragrance Court, Manteca, CA 95337.

  ---------------------------------
  8.  NON-FEET GOOD STUFF
  ---------------------------------
  ** Atsko/Sno-Seal, Inc. makes products to increase water repellency
  of clothes and footwear and a line of soaps and shampoos. Athletes
  can benefit from many of their products. U-V-Block Sun Protection
  turns ordinary clothes into serious UVA and UVB protection. As an
  example, one spray application to a white cotton T-shirt increases
  the UPF (ultraviolet protection factor) from 5 dry to 50+ wet or
  dry. Their Pro-Tech Skin provides protection from friction while
  helping to retain natural moisture. Their Sno-Seal has been used on
  skin but is made for footwear. Pro-Tech is made for skin with some
  of the same components. Finally, their Sports-Wash laundry detergent
  is made for high-tech fabrics, which many of us are wearing. Sports-
  Wash scored higher than any other detergent in comparison on a
  variety of high-tech fabrics. Check out their product line at
  http://www.atsko.com.

  ---------------------------------
  9.  READER FEEDBACK AND COMMENTS
  ---------------------------------
  Lisa, the photographer of last month's bad feet photo winner,
  shares what she and the bad fore-foot photo guy, Pablo Casado, had
  emailed her: "His first email to me: `Once upon a time I read
  your foot care article, having never ever suffered from serious
  blisters I promptly forgot about it. Now I have bought the stuff in
  your recommended foot care kit and the ingredients for the skin
  toughening recipe.'
       "In the next email... his response to me scolding him for
  negligence and asking how his foot was doing (it is healing
  well): `I started the hike removing sand and changing socks quite
  often, but the never ending sand, wet and cold never stopped, the
  more tired I became the less I emptied the shoe. What I should have
  done was treat the blisters, removing the fluid and patching. I
  recall having read somewhere that I shouldn't remove the fluid in
  the blister. Also my teammates suggested taping the blister with
  duct tape, I can fully not recommend this. The duct tape prevents
  the skin from breathing exacerbating the problem.'." In case
  you missed the photos, check them out here: at
  http://www.footworkpub.com/badfeet05.html

  Tom Judd, one of the Two Toms founders (http://www.2Toms.Com)
  wrote: "If you had more people using BlisterShield or SportShield
  you would have even less work to do on runners and walkers.
  Prevention is much better than repairing. Thanks."

  Eric Fraser wrote: "Thanks for keeping up the good work John. I
  have been reading your work for over 5 years now."

  Reader feedback to this E-zine and its articles is welcome and
  encouraged. Please email any foot care ideas or tips that you have
  tried and would like to share with others, or ideas for an article
  for the e-zine to mailto:johnvonhof@comcast.net.

  you can find instructions at the end of this email.

  We respect the privacy of all subscribers and will not disclose your
  email address or any information about you to any third party.
  ---------------------------------
      SHARE THIS ISSUE
  ---------------------------------
  If you like this E-zine, please pass it along to others whom you
  think will benefit from its contents and encourage them to
  subscribe. They can subscribe at mailto:FixingYourFeetEzine-
  subscribe@yahoogroups.com.
      CONTACT INFORMATION
  You are welcome to contact John Vonhof at
  mailto:johnvonhof@comcast.net about this E-zine or the book Fixing
  Your Feet. Snail mail is welcome at 352 Fragrance Court, Manteca, CA
  95337.