[pct-l] snow conditions annually

One way to get a feeling for it is to look at the dates the Yosemite rangers
close Hwy 120 (which is usually the first major snowfall):

http://www.nps.gov/yose/trip/tioga.htm

  The earliest I noticed was last year's Oct 17 (when a *lot* of folks got
stranded and had to be air lifted out of places like Rae Lakes)--most closing
dates over the past 20 years were early Nov thru Dec, so by and large it looks
like if you're out of there by mid-Oct you should be fine.

My own personal experience, starting in the 90s, has been that there hasn't been
any hiker-stopping snowfall until mid-October, though there have been some snow
"flurries" (an inch or two) in late Sept, early Oct. Last year I planned my JMT
hike so as to be out of there by late Sept and I still got snowed on for a
couple of days.

If it were me and I were hiking after Oct 1, I'd be sure to have others know
exactly where I planned to be each night and call for help (assuming I couldn't)
if there were major snow dumps before I finished the hike. Last year's rescuees
spent several days/nights waiting to be rescued--the dump was so heavy (several
feet) they couldn't move and just had to wait where they were. And IIRC, that
storm wasn't predicted more than a day or two in advance of when it hit.

September is pretty safe; October, especially late October, is starting to get
pretty "iffy". At least that's my take on it...

--Steve