[pct-l] snow conditions annually

> Hey,
>    If not, what is everyone's experience of hiking this area at this time?
> It's the best area I could figure and it's the only time I have available,
> but I understand it's not optimal.
_______________

In the mid-80s a friend and I hiked into the Emigrant Wilderness around the
20th of September.  In the late afternoon the temperature dropped and the
wind picked up.  We camped near Huckleberry Lake and woke up to a foot of
heavy snow.  It snowed for three days, reaching about 18" in thickness.  We
spent four days in the tent, eyeing my dog as potential Donner Party fodder,
before hiking out when the storm broke.  Four days of white out and snow,
all at 37 degrees, so everything was soaked.

Be prepared!!!

Jeff Olson
Santa Rosa, CA