[pct-l] Reno to Alpine Meadow; bear can?

There is most defintely a trail that goes into Five Lake Basin near Alpine
Meadows Ski Area. The winter trail takes off at the start of the parking
area for Alpine (technically off limits because it is posted as no
trespassing). The regular trail that leads to the wilderness area and
connects with other trails is back about 1/2 mile toward's highway 89. It is
a very nice trail although you will see a number of people at the beginning.
When you get near "five lakes basin" on your right will be squaw valley ski
area and the ski run KT (kick turns) 22. No need to get on the Tahoe Rim
Trail in Tahoe City. The trail head to Five Lakes Basin is well marked in
the summer and you will see many cars parked across from the trailhead. I've
only gone as far as Five Lakes Basin (the site of an old Sierra Club Hut -
moved out of the wilderness area) in the summer but there are signs there
guiding you to the PCT and other areas.

There are also trails from Squaw Valley that lead into the same general
area. I've have not done much here during the summer. But I've basically
skiied on and near the PCT from Sugarbowl Ski area near Donner Summit to
Squaw Valley (coming down Shirley Canyon) passing by Mt. Anderson and
Tinker's Knob.

Rick Gordon