[pct-l] Who would have thunk it?

In a message dated 7/20/2005 1:25:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jeffmoorehead1@cox.net writes:

> Has this been done before? I know the trails have been hiked in their
> entirety in a single year, but wasn't that faciltitated by flying around to
> multiple 'mini section hikes'? Have people thru-hiked all three trails in
> one year??

As far as I know Flyin' Brian is the only one to complete it, and in a
calender year.  Although he intended to hike each trail straight through, weather
and *snow* got in the way on the AT.  He then hiked NM, all the PCT, finished
the CDT and then finished the AT in about 10 months.  I believe he may have
traveled from trailhead to trailhead via car, bus and plane.

Brian was blessed with realitively good weather and low snowpack in the
Sierras.  Certainly less than this year, not that it would have stopped him if it
had been the same.  Afterall, he's already hiked the High Sierras this year.

According to his journal, Squeaky originally intended on doing the Triple
Crown in less than 200 days.  Backpacking, without a support crew, that's a pace
I would think impossible.  Still, he's on pace to do it in much less time than
Brian but not within the calender year.

Sly