[pct-l] Urgent request for alternatives to John Muir Trail - 3 Scots need advice

Dear fellow hikers,

We are a group of three Scots with a permit to walk the John Muir Trail from
29th July (next week) to about 22th August.

As you can imagine we have been planning this carefully and are set for a
lightweight long distance trek, expecting dry warm conditions and no real snow!!
We were intending to use public transport as much as possible to and from the
JMT (North to South)

We are experienced long-distance, mountain walkers (full Pyrennean Haute
Route etc.)

But we now have alarming news about the freakish snow conditions in the
Sierras and are expecting to be told that we should not attempt what we intended.

Can you please offer any useful suggestions for alternatives, bearing in mind
what you know about us and what we intended to do?  We fly into San Fran on
25th so please reply soonest.

Thanks for your help in anticipation.

=8-$

Tim