[pct-l] Options around Sonora Pass

This may have already been stated (I admit to not keeping up with the list lately and have been using the DEL key a lot).  You must get get your permit from the agency that manages the trailhead from which you start your hike.  That means that you get your permit from the USFS, NOT from Yosemite.  When I hiked out of Leavitt Meadows a couple years ago, the permit was from a self registration station at the trailhead.  If I were you, I would call the USFS station in Bridgeport and find out if this is still the case.  You will still have to follow the food storage regulations in Yosemite, however...
Katy

Chad Zibelman <zibchad@hotmail.com> wrote:
I've been planning a trip from Sonora Pass down to Whitney around July 7th.
Because of snow conditions, I've been considering taking the trail beginning
from Leavitt Meadows instead of the PCT at Sonora. I'm curious as to
whether anyone has been on this trail and what you've experienced.

Also I'm wondering if anyone knows about parking at Whitney Portal. Will I
need a permit, any recommendations? Thanks

GoSlowGoFar