[pct-l] Options around Sonora Pass

I've been planning a trip from Sonora Pass down to Whitney around July 7th.
Because of snow conditions, I've been considering taking the trail beginning
from Leavitt Meadows instead of the PCT at Sonora.  I'm curious as to
whether anyone has been on this trail and what you've experienced.

Also I'm wondering if anyone knows about parking at Whitney Portal.  Will I
need a permit, any recommendations?  Thanks