[pct-l] Options around Sonora Pass

This is a trip I considered doing this year, cept down to Horseshoe mdws
from Sonora Pass. You will need a wilderness permit to go thru Yosemite,
your first mandatory permit entry point. Since you are coming in from the
north, it should be very easy to get one. Just go to the Yosemite website,
and follow the permit instructions. The fee might be $5.  You will also need
a California fire permit to use a stove along the trail and the occaisional
legal campfire. I could be wrong about the permit, and this crowd will
correct me.. You may need to pickup the permit in Yosemite, but may also get
it mailed since you are entering from the north end. You could also get an
Emigrant Wilderness entry point permit, and that would work for getting
through Yosemite to Whitney, and pick it up in Bridgeport. Since you are
coming in from the west side of Whitney, the permit you start with is all
you need. Your best permit would be a Yosemite NP permit tho. You will see
some snow, mostly on alpine north slopes, and on the highest passes. Let me
know what you see, I will doing the JMT in mid August.
http://www.nps.gov/yose/wilderness/permits.htm
I've been planning a trip from Sonora Pass down to Whitney around July 7th.
Because of snow conditions, I've been considering taking the trail beginning
from Leavitt Meadows instead of the PCT at Sonora.  I'm curious as to
whether anyone has been on this trail and what you've experienced.

Also I'm wondering if anyone knows about parking at Whitney Portal.  Will I
need a permit, any recommendations?  Thanks