[pct-l] We've got it together, people!

Donna writes >> So, in that light, where would I suggest?  I agree that
Kennedy Meadows, while I dearly love it, could be logistically challenging
for non-hikers .  So how about Tehachapi, Mojave, or Jawbone, with pick ups
from points north and south?  There are many towns where hikers come down
from the Sierras (Olancha, Lone, Pine, Independence, etc.) where pick ups
and returns could occur.  <<

Donna, I believe any large hiking event on the PCT would contribute to
clumping. The current ADZ site is as far from Aqua Dulce as possible thus
allowing the best opportunity for hiker spreading in 5 weeks needed to
travel to your place. Perhaps we can persuade the PCTA to extend the PCT to
Mexico City to allow a few more months for spreading to occur (just
kidding).

Moving the location north on the trail will also have its share of
downsides. The nature of the East/West road system on the southern PCT makes
North/South travel difficult. This will significantly reduce hiker
attendance. While increased shuttles can help, it is extremely difficult to
coordinate on the "Communication Challenged" PCT. One would need to setup a
system of fixed pickup times and locations. This too would place an added
burden on organizers and providers.

I also noted that your preferred event locations occur north of Aqua Dulce
where any potential problems with clumping would be transferred to someone
else. Your place also contributes in its own way to hiker clumping. Without
it Aqua Dulce would be little more than a bad road walk. I spent two
wonderful evenings there when I hiked through. Without you, I'd have stopped
no more than an hour or two before heading out.

All of us who provide services to hikers alter the nature of the hike.
Whether the impact is positive or negative is always in the eyes of the
beholder. What appears negative to me may be quite positive to others.

If we wanted to be sure we didn't impact a hike then Henry, Brian, Glen and
I would stop making gear, the ADZ would shutdown, your hostel would close
and the water caches would cease. Even this list alters the very nature of a
thru-hike. Change is inevitable. We are human as such we change things.
Sometimes it's for the good, sometime not. Virtually all the time we change
things for the best of motives, even when we don't fully understand the
consequences.

That doesn't mean we should go blindly on with the assumption that "Good
Intentions" should never be questioned. All of us should attempt to
understand our impact on the hiker.

Ultimately though it's up to the thru-hiker to define the experience they
choose to have and make the attempt to fulfill it. Only they ultimately
control when, where and how they hike and the nature of the experience. No
body runs the trail with whip in hand driving hikers forward like cattle. So
if people travel in clumps it's because that's what they choose to do.

Due to numerous changes over the years, I can't go back and hike the AT and
expect the same experience of '77 any more than Greg, Carl, Jeff and Monty
can re-capture their PCT hike. However, fortunately there are trails out
there where still lightly traveled where I can get some sense of solitude.

>> For the many who are not plugged into the vast resources available on the
internet or great publications widely available (like Yogi's), how about
information booklets at the southern terminus that lays out all the critical
information.  The booklet could include water, trail conditions, fire safety
and leave no trace info, special notices and warnings, etc.  Since I'm
suggesting it, I hereby volunteer to do it, if that is what the committee
decides to do.  And, of course, the booklet will contain the invitation to
the ADZ (up trail somewhere in a few weeks) along with ride share pick up
points for getting hikers to the party.  <<

No matter how much information available, some people will always show up at
the border unprepared. Having an information booklet available at the
trailhead is unlikely to make any difference (too little too late). Most of
us learn by seeing how others accomplish similar tasks. The nice thing about
the ADZ is that people can quickly view how a variety of people solve
similar problem. It makes it easier for them to derive a solution more
tailored to their needs.

Fallingwater