[pct-l] Re: Water updates

I have been lurking on this list for the last year or so gathering
information for what I hope to be a 2006 attempt of the PCT.  The recent
discussion surrounding the positive and negative impacts of the KO party
have been interesting to some degree, however, I am interested in another
subject, specifically the use of water caches.  I believe it is safe to say
that the popularity of the PCT has grown to some degree with the level of
"off-trail" support available to the thru-hiker community.  Specifically,
the availability of water caches and the accessibility of trail-hosts and
resupply towns have enabled more and more hikers to experience this long
trail.

While AsABat and other have clearly indicated time and time again on this
list that water caches should NEVER be relied upon; how many of you veteran
thru-hikers relied on these caches during your time on trail?  How many of
you carried sufficient water enabling you to bypass these water caches,
leaving them for those truly in "survival mode"?  It is interesting how
often I read in the journals how important these water caches were too many
successful thru-hikers.  It seems to me that many thru-hikers are looking at
these caches as an essential part of their success.

I would be curious to hear from you thru-hikers...even those that may still
be napping (Yawn and YAWN).

Jeff Singewald
PCT 2006 Hopeful