[pct-l] We've got it together, people!

On 05.04.27, dsaufley@sprynet.com wrote:
> So, in that light, where would I suggest?  I agree that Kennedy
> Meadows, while I dearly love it, could be logistically challenging for
> non-hikers .  So how about Tehachapi, Mojave, or Jawbone, with pick
> ups from points north and south?  There are many towns where hikers
> come down from the Sierras (Olancha, Lone, Pine, Independence, etc.)
> where pick ups and returns could occur.

	I'd like to ruminate on these suggestions.  I won't be
offended by anyone who decides to skip reading this message. :-)

	I'll consider a number of locations on the eastern Sierra (and
Tehachapis) up to Mammoth (even though I think Donna was suggesting
just shuttles to/from the Sierra towns), and I'll assume an event
somewhere in the range of the present ADZ to Trailfest (well, not as
big as Trailfest).

	I don't know if either Tehachapi or Mojave has the facilities
to support an event.  Tehachapi generally has more pleasant weather
and is growing, while Mojave has been hard-hit by a business slump
deepened by the bypass road north of town (although Rutan and Virgin
Galactic's spaceport business might revive it in a few years).
Perhaps we could rent a school for a weekend?  (Don't laugh, I've been
to events in rented schools.)

	Jawbone Canyon is an interesting suggestion.  It's BLM land,
and there's room to hold a lot of people, if water tanks and
porta-potties can be arranged.  The Jawbone store, which burned down,
has been rebuilt.  I think I'll ask the BLM people about the
feasibility of holding a large gathering there, unless someone else
does so and posts first.

	Olancha: There's no facility that I can think of than can hold
a large event, unless one of the ranches is available.  It happens
that I know that a ranch went on the market last summer... I wonder if
it's been sold?  Of course, if we could get Crystal Geyser to sponsor
the event (they bottle water in Olancha)...

	Dirty Sock Warm Spring was listed for sale, too.  Too small,
and, well, too dirty. :-)

	Diaz Lake: just south of Lone Pine.  200 campsites, open year
round.  Full-service RV park nearby, motels in Lone Pine.  Might have
the capacity for a trail event, at least to start.

	Horseshoe Meadow:  the thought of holding a trail event here
takes my breath away. :-)  Not enough campsites.  Very convenient for
hikers.

	Lone Pine: With the continued success of the Lone Pine Film
Festival, the Lone Pine Chamber of Commerce has been organizing other
annual events, such as the Wild Wild West Marathon.  Hmmm... the
Mt. Whitney to Death Valley bike race folded.  Sand Dunes to Sierras
Stage Race folded, too...  OK, some events don't make it.
Nonetheless, there's possible support in Lone Pine for a trail
festival.  "The Mt. Whitney Trail Festival" -- hmmm... the thruhikers
would be overwhelmed by the Mt. Whitney peak baggers...

	Keeler:  too small, no facilities.  We wouldn't all fit on
my parents' property there. ;-)

	Manzanar: probably not available as a site for an event like
this... but a good place to visit and meditate on the multiple
meanings of "freedom".

	Independence: unless you talk about the Onion Valley
campgrounds, which are too small, now that I think about it, probably
not enough in the way of facilities.  Great 4th of July parade and
fireworks show, though.

	Big Pine:  lots of campgrounds nearby, none of which is
large enough.

	Bishop: Lost of potential here.  Motels, restaurants, the
fairground, Millpond County Park.  Bishop could host a suitable event,
I think.

	Crowley Lake:  Might have enough facilities.  Haven't been there
in years, ought to stop by...

	Mammoth: definately could host a suitable event.

	Olancha through Independence (at least): I'll mention one big
caveat for this whole area: trail quotas.  Holding a trail festival
anywhere in this area would cause a pulse of hikers, and I expect that
there would be questions raised just like the ones we've been
discussing regarding the present ADZ.  It would be fun to hold a trail
festival near Mt. Whitney, but it might ultimately be self-defeating.

					Craig "Computer" Rogers